You may have felt it before…your heart starts to pound, and your mouth gets dry. It seems hard to settle down and your chest gets tight…it feels like impending doom…
Let’s face it. Anxiety and panic attacks are not fun. As a kid, I’d always experienced a bit of anxiety, but I wrote it off to being a Virgo. People born under this sign sometimes struggle with self imposed perfection issues, and are always anxious to ‘get it right’, so to speak. I laughingly called it my “fuss-itude”. But then last summer, in the middle of tourist traffic and road construction, I suffered my first ever full blown panic attack! I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest, and there was no place for fight or flight…I was in my car!
Since then, I’ve had many clients who have complained of the same thing. Nothing happens by accident, right? So in my investigation on healing myself and others, I’ve uncovered a few interesting and helpful things…
Did you know that people with type A blood suffer more from anxiety than others? It’s because they have a harder time breaking down stress hormones produced by the adrenal glands. But even if you don’t know your blood type, here is what you can do to help prevent anxiety from happening:
- Take B Vitamins! Two B Complex Vitamins a day is a good start. Add to that an additional Pantothenic Acid (B5) and an additional B6.
- Take Liquid Magnesium. 400mg to 700mg a day should keep you calm. Magnesium is the vital mineral that helps keep you calm, and aids in relaxing muscle contractions. It also calms your brain!
- Eat brain calming foods! Healthy fats promote a calm brain. Eggs, salmon, sardines, fish oil, raw pastured butter, olives, olive oil and raw nuts will help keep you calm.
- Avoid sugar, grains, gluten, alcohol and processed, chemical- laden foods. It’s the gut-brain connection here…foods that promote yeast over-growth in the gut create anxiety in the brain. Serotonin, which is your ‘feel good’ hormone is primarily created in your gut!
- Carry St. John’s Wort tincture with you for immediate help. Two dropper fulls will have you calm in less than 15 minutes! Hold it under your tongue for a few moments before swallowing, to allow it to work even more quickly.
- Take time for calming rituals. A morning walk, yoga, or meditation all work wonders for helping to stay calm and centered.
- Essential oils of lavender, rose, and patchouli dabbed on your temples and wrists can have a calming effect.
By consistently caring for yourself and making yourself a priority, anxiety attacks can become a thing of the past. It’s worked for me and my clients! Cheers to a calm, happy future to us all!
For even more specific recommendations, or for a personal consultation, please contact Antoinette Caruso at 207-664-3754 or email at: [email protected]
As an Holistic Practitioner, I approach wellness from many different levels. I work with clients in my office, and ‘live’ via the web. I also offer group and corporate workshops on a variety of topics.